Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Is Cheating More Accepted In The World We Live In Today?


Have we entered into a time where cheating has become so much of the norm that some of us have conditioned ourselves to believe that cheating is okay in certain situations?

I haven’t come across anyone that has admitted to having an open relationship or that has said straight up “I let my significant other cheat.” I have however, come across people that have said things like “As long as I don’t see him/her cheating, then I’m okay with that,” or “A man will be a man.” I’ve even heard the justification that “Everybody cheats,” Which indicates to me that cheating is accepted in that relationship.

Is it true, does everyone cheat? Is cheating better if you never find out about it? Are there different levels of cheating?  Also would you handle a boyfriend/girlfriend cheating differently than a husband/wife cheating?

For those of you in relationships, how do you feel about your partner stepping out on you? Is it accepted to some degree? How about if you guys are "taking time apart" does that make it okay then? What about those of you NOT currently in a relationship. Would you deal with someone that you KNEW was in a relationship? I mean if you really think about it, YOUR not the cheating!!!

What are your thoughts on the whole cheating in relationships in general?

3 comments:

  1. GR8 TOPIC OSS...I 2 HAVE HEARD THOSE SAME EXPRESSIONS. ME PERSONALLY? I WLDNT REACT VERY WELL 2 KNOWING WIFEE CHEATED. AS 4 "TIME APART", EVEN THOUGH UNOFFICIAL RULE MIGHT SAY ITS OK 2 STEP OUT, I STILL WLDNT LIKE IT IF I THINK WE'RE GETTING BACK 2GETHER. AS 4 "EVERYBODY CHEATS"...IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYBODY SMOKES, BUT I DONT. EVERYBODY DSNT CHEAT IMO EITHER. SPOUSAL CHEATING IS DEF WORSE THAN BF/GF. YOU SWORN A LIFELONG COMMITMENT, AND I THINK FAITHFULNESS IS IMPLIED (EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT ACTUALLY SPOKEN IN THE VOWS). ME PERSONALLY, I WLDNT PURSUE ANOTHER MAN'S WOMAN, BUT SIDE JOINTS AREN'T ALWAYS 2 BLAME, B/C IT TAKES 2. I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT

    NITTY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Nitty "everyone smokes but I don't" and "side joints aren't always to blame, b/c it takes two"

    I think cheating is the end for me. It takes a lifetime (well not literally) to build trust, but a second to lose it. If my significant other cheated and we "got through it", I would always question if he is cheating or not. Not worth the stress. I guess its easier to leave if you don't have any ties to the person besides love. A married friend said prior to her getting married she would leave her husband if he cheated, but after married so long and having a lot of investments such as time, love, house and children...leaving may not be as easy. Cheating is not cool and no everyone doesn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that cheating is more accepted these days. I feel like most people would say cheating would ruin or end their relationship. I do, however, think that cheating is expected more than maybe it once was. Because, for whatever reason (media, friends, personal experience, etc.) it seems like everybody cheats, people expect it more and are automatically suspicious of it and/or willing to take part in it.
    Is it true that everyone cheats? - no, but I do think there are a lot of people that do or have cheated and just because you have doesn't mean you always will. There are different levels of cheating (emotional/physical) and husband/wife cheating is way worse than bf/gf cheating. That said, all cheating is worse if you don't find out about it, because then not only are you being cheated on, but you have someone you love/care about constantly making a fool out of you. If you find out at least you can make a decision as to how you want to handle the situation.
    As for people taking time apart, you should always define the parameters of the separation period. If you've agreed that you won't see other people and you do then its cheating just as if you were together. If you agree that it's ok then it's ok.

    ReplyDelete